“Man must cease attributing his problems to his environment, and learn again to exercise his will – his personal responsibility.”
How many of us at one time or another will admit to blaming other people for an outcome that was actually related to our own choice? There should be a hand raised at every computer out there right now!! For real! Own it!
I personally used to push off every poor decision on my part as someone elses fault, but no more! I learned to take ownership of my choices and actions and resulting outcomes.
Think about even your smallest decision that impacts a situation and how you handle it. For example, you know you have a meeting to be a part of and still choose to drag your feet in the morning so you are now running late. You meet your client only 15 minutes late (which by the way shows them a lack of respect and professionalism), your client accepts this, and it happens again a week later. Your client now makes a decision to seek out another service provider and sever ties with you. You blame the client for backing off so you couldn’t possibly have met expectations and ignore the fact that you behaved unprofessionally. The client lost time and possibly money while you dragged around KNOWINGLY before each of your meetings.
Can you see how this can escalate when we are talking about something bigger than running 15 minutes late?
What happens when we start to own our part in a situation?
- We see the world differently as we start to see how we play out our part in it.
- We improve our relationships.
- We improve our self-view and self-esteem as we regain control of our own actions.
- We remove anxiety and fear often times because we are uncertain as to how others will respond to our actions.
- Forgiveness becomes second nature to you – mostly for yourself!
- You gain the respect of others and become more trustworthy.
Take ownership. Regain control of your life. Watch your relationships change and your self-esteem grow!
“When you blame others, you give up your power to change.”